Update on the latest sports
Rays beat Birds again
UNDATED (AP) — The American League’s top team has reached the 80-win mark.
The Tampa Bay Rays earned their sixth consecutive victory as Shane McClanahan won his fifth consecutive start in a 6-3 downing of the Orioles. McClanahan allowed two runs and eight hits with four strikeouts over six innings to move to 9-4.
Mike Zunino (zoo-NEE’-noh) hit a three-run homer that gave Tampa Bay a 6-2 lead. It was his 27th home run.
Austin Hays hit his 14th homer for the Orioles, who had won two consecutive games after losing 19 straight.
The Rays are 16-1 versus the Birds this season.
Checking the rest of Friday’s major league schedule:
— The Red Sox rallied for a 4-3 win over the Indians as Jonathan Araúz smacked a three-run homer in the eighth inning. Araúz was recalled before the game and made the three-hour drive from Buffalo, arriving shortly before the first pitch. The Red Sox were down 3-1 and had managed only one hit through seven innings off Cleveland starter Logan Allen and reliever Alex Young before storming back in the eighth off James Karinchak.
— Pinch-hitter Victor Reyes delivered a tiebreaking, inside-the-park home run in the eighth inning to give the Tigers a 2-1 win against the Blue Jays. Detroit said Reyes is the first major leaguer since the expansion era to have a pinch-hit go-ahead inside-the-park home run. Detroit’s Matt Manning and Toronto’s Steven Matz both allowed one run over six innings.
— Wade Miley doubled home a run and pitched six-hit ball over seven innings of the Reds’ 6-0 shutout of the Marlins. Tyler Naquin (NAY’-kwihn) was 3-for-4 to stretch his hitting streak to 16 games, the longest current run in the majors. Mike Moustakas also went deep and had an RBI double for the Reds, who began Friday two games ahead of San Diego for the second NL wild card.
— The Cardinals posted a 4-3 win over the Pirates as Tommy Edman hit a two-run homer and a sacrifice fly. J.A. Happ allowed two runs and three hits over 5 2/3 innings. Jacob Stallings had three hits and Yoshi Tsutsugo (YOH’-shee soot-SOO’-goh) poked an RBI triple for Pittsburgh.
Red Sox IF Hernández tests positive for COVID-19
UNDATED (AP) — Kiké Hernández has been one of the Boston Red Sox’s top hitters this month, batting .305 with three homers, four doubles, 12 RBIs, 18 runs and a .426 on-base percentage. The Red Sox will be spending time without the infielder after he tested positive for COVID-19.
He’ll is sidelined indefinitely and will be placed on the COVID-19 list along with second baseman Christian Arroyo, who had close contact with Hernández.
Red Sox manager Alex Cora said following a recent outbreak on the Rangers, his team took extra measures to make sure players “were clear, sound.” Boston hosted Texas in a three-game series last weekend.
Elsewhere in the majors:
— The Phillies have put pitcher Zach Eflin, catcher Andrew Knapp and infielder-outfielder Luke Williams on the COVID-19 injured list. Knapp was in Friday’s original starting lineup against the Diamondbacks but replaced by J.T. Realmuto (ree-al-MOO’-toh) about 45 minutes before the scheduled first pitch.
— All-Star catcher Buster Posey has returned to the Giants’ lineup after missing two games with discomfort in his left knee. Giants manager Gabe Kapler also said Friday that backup catcher Curt Casali is available off the bench after leaving Thursday’s game against the Mets due to dizziness.
— The White Sox have reinstated catcher Yasmani Grandal (yahs-MAH’-nee grahn-DAHL’) from the 10-day injured list. He had been sidelined since he tore a tendon in his left knee July 5 at Minnesota. The switch-hitter batted .303 with a homer and three RBIs over 11 games on a minor league rehab assignment.
— The Twins say pitcher Kenta Maeda (KEHN’-tah mah-EH’-dah) will have season-ending elbow surgery next Wednesday. Maeda was pulled from his previous start last weekend with tightness in his forearm.
— Minnesota center fielder Byron Buxton has been activated after after missing 55 games while a broken left pinky finger. Buxton played in only three games after returning June 19 from a strained right hip that kept him out for 39 games.
— Veteran utility player Marwin Gonzalez has signed a minor league contract with the Astros, two weeks after being designated for assignment by Boston. He hit .202 with two homers and 20 RBIs in 77 games for the Red Sox this season. Gonzalez was a key component to Houston’s 2017 World Series run, setting career highs with a .303 batting average, 23 homers and 90 RBIs.
— Pasadena police have presented to prosecutors their investigation of Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer. A woman accuses Bauer of choking her into unconsciousness, punching her repeatedly and performing unconsented acts during two sexual encounters. The move comes just over a week after a judge denied the 27-year-old San Diego woman’s request for a restraining order against Bauer.
AP source: Cavs getting Markkanen from Bulls in 3-way trade
CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to acquire Lauri Markkanen from Chicago, in a three-way trade that will send forward Larry Nance Jr. from Cleveland to Portland. That’s according to a person familiar with the deal who also told The Associated Press the Markkanen will receive a four-year, $67.4 million contract.
The Bulls are getting swingman Derrick Jones Jr. from the Trail Blazers along with a lottery-protected 2022 first-round pick.
The agreement needs NBA approval before it can be completed.
In other NBA news:
— The NBA has sent a memo to its teams saying that all personnel who will be near players and referees must be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus this season. The directive covers anyone who will travel with teams, be around the bench areas, have access to home, visiting and referee locker rooms and those working at the scorer’s table. The memo also says that the policy may be updated when federal agencies release “expected guidance related to booster shots.”
Louisville suspends Mack
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Louisville has given men’s basketball coach Chris Mack a six-game suspension for failing to follow procedures in handling an extortion attempt by one of his assistants. Mack’s former assistant, Dino Gaudio, pleaded guilty in June to a federal charge of attempted extortion. After Gaudio learned in March that he would be fired, he threatened to go to the news media with alleged NCAA violations by the team.
WEST VIRGINIA-HUGGINS CONTRACT
Huggins gets 2-year extension at WVU
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia’s Bob Huggins has agreed to a two-year contract extension that includes the option for him to step aside or continue coaching after the 2023-24 season.
Huggins turns 68 next month and is entering his 40th season as a head coach. His 900 wins are the third most among active Division I coaches.
AP sources: Eichel switching agents amid dispute with Sabres
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel (EYE’-kul) is changing agents while in the midst of a long-standing dispute with the team over how to treat a neck injury.
Four people with direct knowledge of the decision tell The Associated Press that the paperwork for Eichel to switch agents is in the process of being submitted to the NHL Players’ Association.
The people say Eichel has chosen to go with Creative Artists Agency’s Pat Brisson, who represents numerous high-profile NHL players.
Eichel has been sidelined since March. He favors artificial disk replacement surgery, while the Sabres oppose such a procedure because it has never been performed on an NHL player.
Saints pick Winston, cancel preseason game
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The New Orleans Saints have settled on a quarterback and canceled a preseason game.
Jameis (JAY’-mihs) Winston will be the Saints’ starting QB for their season opener against Green Bay on Sept. 12. A person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press Friday that Winston will succeed Drew Brees (breez) as the team’s starter after winning a preseason competition with Taysom Hill.
Winston signed a one-year contract with the Saints last season after leaving the Buccaneers, where he was the starter before Tampa Bay signed Tom Brady.
Meanwhile, the Saints’ preseason game scheduled for Saturday against Arizona has been canceled due to Hurricane Ida.
Also around the NFL:
— Browns coach Kevin Stefanski surprisingly said Friday that Baker Mayfield and other “select” Cleveland starters will play in Sunday night’s nationally televised exhibition finale against the Falcons. Not wanting to risk injuries, Stefanski had kept his starting quarterback and the majority of his starters on the sideline for the team’s first two preseason games.
DeChambeau narrowly misses a 58
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) — Bryson DeChambeau fired a 60 to take the clubhouse lead in the second round of the BMW Championship. DeChambeau had a chance to shoot a 58 before closing his round with consecutive pars, missing putts of 15 and six feet.
He’s 16 under through 36 holes and one shot ahead of Patrick Cantlay, who shot a 63 on Friday. Jon Rahm was on the course at 15 under and faced a 15-foot birdie putt on the 16th hole when play was halted by darkness.
Sergio Garcia and Sunjae Im are minus 12 and tied for third among those who completed their round.
Afternoon thunderstorms halted play for 90 minutes and prevented 21 players from completing their rounds.
PGA TOUR CHAMPIONS-ALLY CHALLENGE
Langer, Dawson lead with 64s
GRAND BLANC, Mich. (AP) — Bernhard Langer shot his age on his 64th birthday for a share of the lead with Marco Dawson in the suspended first round of the The Ally Challenge.
Langer had nine birdies and a bogey at Warwick Hills, playing the back nine in 6-under 30 in a round that started about five hours late because of the rain.
Dawson eagled the par-5 16th with a 60-yard shot and had six birdies for his 8-under 64.
Defending champion Jim Furyk (FYOOR’-ihk) was a stroke back with Joe Durant and K.J. Choi, who has one hole left in his round.
Ronaldo back with Manchester United
UNDATED (AP) — Cristiano Ronaldo is back with Manchester United.
Juventus worked out the deal after Ronaldo told team officials on Thursday that he didn’t want to remain with the team. Manchester City was believed to be the front-runner for the 36-year-old Ronaldo, who scored 118 goals in 292 games for Manchester United from 2003-09.
Ronaldo will join for a fee of about $17. 7 million, with roughly $9.4 million in add-ons. The transfer is subject to agreement of personal terms, visa and a medical examination.