Elevated carbon monoxide causes illness in BGJHS students, staff member

Bowling Green Junior High

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Seven students and one employee at Bowling Green Junior High School are ill following detection of elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the school’s kitchen and cafeteria.

The following message was sent out by Bowling Green Independent School District to families of students at BGJHS:

“Earlier today, an employee in the cafeteria became ill, which was determined to be caused by elevated levels of [carbon monoxide] in the kitchen. The entire school was checked by the Bowling Green Fire Department, and determined concerns were isolated to the kitchen and cafeteria area. Upon further investigation across the school, seven BGJHS students indicated they were experiencing symptoms, and were also evaluated by medical staff. Parents of all students experiencing symptoms have been contacted by school personnel.

ATMOS Energy has worked to resolve the issue immediately.

Bowling Green Junior High will be serving lunch outdoors today, but will be back to normal operations this afternoon.”

Both Bowling Green Fire Department and ATMOS Energy responded to the scene. It has been determined the source of the carbon monoxide was a kitchen appliance, and the issue has been resolved, according to BGISD.