WKU to offer early college program on Glasgow campus
GLASGOW, Ky. – Starting in fall 2023, Western Kentucky University in Glasgow will offer an early college program.
The program will allow college-ready high school students to earn 30 hours of WKU credit. To do this, students will need to take WKU classes in Glasgow alongside current WKU students.
WKU President Timothy C. Caboni made the announcement during an event at WKU in Glasgow to celebrate 20 years at its campus home on Hilltopper Way.
Early College is for high school students in the Glasgow area who plan to attend college and want to get a head start on their WKU degree pursuit during their junior and senior year.
Students must apply through their high school guidance office during the winter of their 10th grade year and must be a current student at a participating high school with a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher at the time of application. 100 students from the region will be accepted each year.
Selected students will take Colonnade (WKU general education) and profession-specific college courses at WKU in Glasgow throughout the morning. They will return to their high school each afternoon for high school classes.
Courses are based on their chosen professional career track in agriculture, business management, crime and legal studies, education or nursing. They will also take two field trips each semester: one to visit with professionals onsite in their area of study and another to visit WKU’s main campus in Bowling Green to engage with professors and students.
So far, seven school districts, including Allen County-Scottsville, Barren County, Caverna, Glasgow, Hart, Metcalfe County, and Monroe County have committed to work with WKU to bring this program to their students.
Everyone interested in Early College at WKU is encouraged to attend their school’s Parent Night event. The following schedule provides the school, date, time, location and contact:
- Monroe County: Nov. 14 at 5:30 p.m. – MCHS Library; Contact: Donna Dyer
- Metcalfe County: Nov. 17 at 6 p.m. – MCHS Library; Contact: Geneva Scroggy
- Barren County: Nov. 21 at 5:30 p.m. – WKU in Glasgow Room 131; Contact: Angie White
- Glasgow: Nov. 21 at 5:30 p.m. – WKU in Glasgow Room 131; Contact: Lorie Bunch
- Hart County: Nov. 28 at 5:30 p.m. – HCHS Auditorium; Contact: Christie Wilcoxson
- Caverna: Nov.29 at 5 p.m. – CHS Library; Contact: Lestaye Perry
- Allen County: Dec. 12 at 5:30 p.m. – ACSHS Auditorium; Contact: Laura Carter