Bowling Green restaurants take a hit from COVID-19 precautions
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – The other big headline out of the governor’s office today, restaurant dining rooms around the bluegrass will be required to close up shop this evening to dine visitors.
Drive thru, delivery and take out are still available at many restaurants. And that business is needed to keep local businesses going.
The governor announced an order to close restaurants and bars for in-person traffic across the Commonwealth in another effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Although the kitchen staff will remain employed at many restaurants to fill those orders, many servers and other wait staff are out of a job for the time being.
Lisa Parker, the owner of Lisa’s 5th Street Diner in Bowling Green, had to break the news to some of her employees this morning.
“They are all worried and scared to death. This is their income. They don’t know. They don’t know what they are going to do,” said Parker.
But through a time where people are worried, the community seems to be stepping up and loving on each other a little extra.
Heather McGuffey, the owner of Teresa’s Restaurant in Bowling Green, saw generosity toward frightened servers on Monday.
She said a man came in and did something amazing.
“He took everything out of his wallet and left it for the tip for the server that waited on him today and it was an $80 tip,” said McGuffey.
Through it all, Parker said, “We have been here for 10 years and, lots of battles that we’ve overcome. So, we’ll overcome this one too, cross our fingers.”
Several area restaurants had already started to close their dining areas before the governor’s announcement this morning.