Bear hunting regulations simplified 2022 season
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -Bear hunting season is here, and hunters will be happy to hear of a few simplified regulations this year.
Beginning this season, you can bear hunt based on fixed season dates: not bear quotas.
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources says with the influx of bears Kentucky has seen over the years, they are able to reduce the eight hunting zones to two and get rid of relying on harvest quotas.
KDFWR Bear & Elk Program Coordinator John Hast said, “Folks in Bowling Green, folks in Louisville, West Kentucky, they used to not be as inclined to come over and hunt because that season could be closed on day one, and then you’re going home. Bear season’s over. So you can actually plan around it a little bit better.”
Fish and Wildlife says Special Bear Reserves are already in place to add a layer of sustainability.
The new seasons include:
- Hunt with dogs/any legal equipment, Zones 1 & 2, Open through Oct. 21
- Hunt with dogs/any legal equipment, Zone 2, Oct. 27-Nov. 4
- Hunt with archery/crossbow equipment, Zone 1, Oct. 22-24
- Hunt with archery/crossbow equipment, Zone 2, Oct. 22-26
- Hunt with firearms, Zone 1, Dec.10-12
- Hunt with firearms, Zone 2, Dec.10-14
Seasons for chasing bears with dogs (but no hunting) remain unchanged. Those seasons concluded Sept. 30.