Rep. Guthrie introduces bill to help substance use struggles

BOWLING GREEN, Ky.- Representative Brett Guthrie recently helped introduce a bill to help people overcome substance abuse. 

It’s called the Substance Use Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Services Block Grant Act of 2022.

The grant will go to aid programs that are specific to each state. 20% of the grant will go to substance use prevention and the other 80% will help go to recovery efforts, including workforce and housing programs.

Guthrie says the bill was necessary as substance abuse has increased since the start of the pandemic. He also says issues at the borders have had an impact. He said 70% of overdoses in Kentucky in 2020 were from illicit fentanyl. 

“We’ve had a problem with addiction as we all know so Congress has worked together to address it and it’s gotten even worse,” said Guthrie. 

Guthrie says he hopes for the bill to pass the Committee by May and be sent to the Senate by early summer.