Fire damages Oakland dairy auction business 

OAKLAND, Ky. – The Mammoth Cave Dairy Auction suffered a destructive fire Tuesday morning in the kitchen area.

No injuries were reported from the fire in Oakland.

Workers said the blaze began in the kitchen after a grease fire got out of control.

Smiths Grove, Gott and Alvaton Volunteer Fire Departments were on scene and put out the fire before it spread to where the cows are housed.

The building suffered a significant amount of fire, smoke and water damage.

The Smiths Grove fire chief said, the kitchen is a complete loss, but the rest of the building may be salvageable.


“We got it contained to the kitchen area, so it could’ve been much worse, as bad as it is and as bad as it looks, it could’ve been much worse. No animals were hurt, no firemen were hurt, everybody got out safely,” said Smiths Grove Fire Chief Kenneth Priddy.


As a result of the fire, the dairy auction was cancelled for Tuesday.