Father Charged In Michigan School Explosion

Prosecutors say a Michigan man created homemade explosives with his 16-year-old son before the boy took some of the material to school and triggered an explosion that cost him his thumbs. WOOD's Ruben Juarez reports.

(WOOD/NBC News) — Authorities have charged a Michigan man after his son brought homemade explosives to Newaygo High School Monday and they went off, injuring the teen.

David Robert Daniel Saylor, 33, was charged Tuesday with a count of manufacture or possession of a Molotov cocktail and a count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to a release from the Newaygo County Prosecutor’s Office.

During arraignment in a White Cloud courtroom Tuesday, prosecutors said Saylor is the teen’s father.

“Based on the discussion with the 16-year-old, it’s clear that in conjunction with his father, he had been making and exploding improvised explosive devices at their home on 95th Street in Brooks Township,” Newaygo County Prosecutor Worth Stay told the judge. “A search warrant was executed where a vast array of different explosive devices were found and different materials.”

The 16-year-old student who brought the explosives to the school was severely injured when they went off Monday morning. The prosecutor said in court that the teen lost his thumbs.

A few other students sustained minor injuries, and they and the teacher went to the hospital to be checked out.

Read more here.