Atmos Energy reminds public to call 8-1-1 before you dig after gas line breaks
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – At 10 a.m. Wednesday the Bowling Green Fire Department and Atmos Energy were called out to Old Morgantown Road in reference to a gas line break.
The incident occurred after a contractor accidentally cut the line in a mishap with machinery.
Lines were marked correctly, but, according to Atmos Energy’s Kay Coomes, accidents happen sometimes.
The gas was shut off within a few minutes and workers repaired the line.
Although this was not an incident of a failure to contact 8-1-1 before digging, Atmos Energy is reminding the public of the importance to do so.
“You had a natural gas line and natural gas is a flammable type of product so it could just need the right conditions the right spark and then it could cause serious injury to the person who hit the line so it is something that we are always trying to make people aware the importance of calling before you dig because it can just save your life,” said Koomes.
When you call, expect two days before lines are marked even on your own property.
It’s not just a safety precaution, it is the law and damaging infrastructure can result in a hefty fine.