NBC’s hit dance competition series “World of Dance” is back this summer
Season 4 Premieres Tuesday, May. 26 at 9pm on WNKY NBC 40 With Surprise Twists and Higher Stakes
UNIVERSAL CITY, CA – April 29, 2020 – NBC’s hit dance competition series “World of Dance” announced its 34 acts across multiple genres, ages and dance styles for Season 4 today. This season will showcase an extraordinary new group of world-class competitors ready to showcase their talents to win a life-altering grand prize of $1 million and the title of best dancer in the world.
“World of Dance” is led by a judging team of exceptional dance superstars — Jennifer Lopez (who also serves as an executive producer), Derek Hough, and NE-YO — with Scott Evans as host.
“I can’t wait for everyone to see what we’ve been up to this season on ‘World of Dance,’” said Derek Hough. “We’ve made some thrilling new updates to the format and I think it’s going to make for one of our best seasons yet. The energy of the show and the passion of the contestants bleeds through the screen.”
To up the ante and add an element of surprise for Season 4, “World of Dance” has implemented the following programming changes:
• Qualifier Twist – To begin the season, contestants are under the impression that they’re performing one final audition for a panel of producers, in a surprise twist however, hopeful acts will walk onto the dance floor to realize that The Qualifiers have already begun and our “World of Dance” judges are there to see them perform and determine if they have what it takes to make it to the next round.
• Callback Vote – The judges will each give a Yes vote, a No vote, or a Callback vote, which will give acts one last chance to perform and earn their spot in the next round.
• Blind Battle – For the Duels round, the judges will now choose which acts go head-to-head and the acts won’t know their opponent until they hit the dance floor, creating epic dance battles leading to some of the most intense performances the series has ever seen.
• Redemption Round Revamped – This season’s redemption will be decided by a special surprise guest judge who will choose which two acts up for elimination will go head-to-head to earn the final slot in the Semi-Final.
Season 4 will highlight some of the most talented dancers and dance teams in the world including:
• Maddy Penny – This 15-year-old ballerina has a long list of accomplishments under her belt, including a Gold Medal from the 2015 World Ballet Competition, consecutive award wins at the 2016 and 2017 Youth America Grand Prix and a Bronze Prize from the 2018 Beijing International Ballet Competition.
• Chibi Unity – Hailing all the way from Niigata, Japan, this Fusion Dance crew’s motto is to work in “Love and Gratitude” in all that they do and they actively seek to build a better future for young dancers across the globe.
• Jefferson y Adrianita – Two-time Salsa World Champions and real-life couple, Jefferson y Adrianita have been dancing together for more than 16 years and have been competing at the professional level for almost 10 years. Together they have a son who is named after “World of Dance’s” own Derek Hough.
• UPeepz – This Urban Dance crew won gold in Hip-Hop International’s World Hip Hop Dance Championship. They returned to defend their title and successfully became the first ever Filipino team to be two-time World Champions in the MegaCrew Division.
See full list of the 34 dance acts below.
The season 4 premiere episode will air on Tuesday, May. 26 on NBC at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
In partnership with preeminent global dance brand World of Dance, the series brings the world’s best dancers together to compete in epic performances of artistry, precision and athleticism. Solo dancers will compete against duos and crews in an unlimited range of dance, including hip-hop, contemporary, ballet, break-dancing, ballroom and more.
The contestants are handpicked from qualifying events around the nation and thousands of online submissions. The competitors are divided into two divisions to start: Junior (17 years old and under) and Upper (18 years old and older). The competition consists of five rounds: Qualifiers, Callbacks, The Duels, Semi-Finals and World Final. In the first three rounds, dancers compete within their division, but in the Semi-Final and World Final – acts will compete against each other for the grand prize.
Jennifer Lopez, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas & Benny Medina executive produce for Nuyorican Productions. Executive producers also include Kris Curry, Matilda Zoltowski, Tina Nicotera Bachmann, Alex Rudzinski, David Gonzalez and Matthew Everitt. The series is produced by Universal Television Alternative Studio in association with Nuyorican Productions and World of Dance.
FULL CONTESTANT LIST (34 ACTS)
•305, Latin Ballroom group from Miami, FL
•Amari Smith, Hip-Hop dancer from Las Vegas, NV
•Antonio & Maria, Latin Ballroom duo from Naples, Italy
•Bailey & Kida, Urban Dance duo from Los Angeles, CA
•Chibi Unity, Fusion crew from Niigata, Japan
•GigaBots, Popping group from Vancouver, Canada
•GRVMNT, Hip-Hop group from Vancouver, Canada
•Itty Bitty Crew, Hip-Hop trio from Edmonton, Canada
•James & Harris, Contemporary duo from Seattle, WA
•Keagan Kapps, Contemporary dancer from Moore, OK
•Maddy Penny, Ballet dancer from Mesa, AZ
•MDC 3, Contemporary trio from Placentia, CA
•Project 21, Jazz group from Yorba Linda, CA
•Savannah Manzel, Jazz dancer from Lake Elmo, MN
•The Break Ninjaz, Breaking crew from Las Vegas, NV
•The Difference, Contemporary group from Carol Stream, IL
•The Young Cast, Hip-Hop group from Levis, Canada
•Willis, Afro House dancer from Bondy, France
•Avant Garde Collective, Urban Dance group from Amsterdam, Netherlands
•CBAction, Street Dance group from Cordoba, Argentina
•Geometrie Variable, Tutting trio from Montpellier, France
•Indigenous Enterprise, Native American Dance quartet from Phoenix, AZ
•Jake & Chau, Contemporary duo from San Jose, CA
•Jefferson y Adrianata, Salsa duo from Cali, Colombia
•Josh & Erica, Urban Dance duo from Los Angeles, CA
•Kurtis Sprung, Contemporary Dancer from Caroga Lake, NY
•Lucia & Alessandra, Latin Ballroom duo from Sicily, Italy
•Oxygen, Urban Dance crew from Maastricht, Netherlands
•Pumpfidence, Heels Dance group from Los Angeles, CA
•Show Stopper Miami, Jazz Funk group from Miami, FL
•Styles & Emma, Ballet duo from Rochester, NY
•The Rise, Hip-Hop group from Gilbert, AZ
•The Williams Fam, Hip-Hop quartet from Vallejo, CA
•UPeepz, Urban Dance group from Manila, Philippines