Atmos Energy urges safety during tornado cleanup
Owensboro, KY – Dec. 14, 2021 – Atmos Energy urges residents affected by the recent tornados to take steps that help ensure their personal safety. Atmos Energy has brought in additional personnel to continuously work in tornado damaged areas surveying, repairing, and replacing natural gas infrastructure while restoring natural gas service as quickly and safely as possible. Please observe these safety reminders to keep you, your family, and your neighbors safe.
- Smell gas? Act fast! – Anyone who thinks they smell natural gas inside their home or neighborhood should leave the area immediately and from a safe distance call 911 and the Atmos Energy Emergency Hotline at 866.322.8667. We will promptly send someone to investigate.
- Debris cleanup – Make sure the area around your natural gas meter is clear of trash or debris, so cleanup crews can easily see and avoid striking any natural gas facilities.
- Tree removal – Before removing large tree limbs or deep-rooted tree stumps, call 811 to have your underground utility lines located and prevent any damage.
- Digging – Natural gas distribution pipelines are mostly underground but can be damaged by uprooted trees and shifted foundations. After the storm, call 811 to have underground utility lines marked.
- Roof vents and piping – High winds and debris can cause significant roof damage that could bend or pull apart vent caps and pipes. Please contact a licensed plumber or heating contractor to have gas vents and piping inspected and to ensure proper ventilation of natural gas equipment and appliances, which allows combustion gases to escape outside.
- Outage/Service Interruption – Atmos Energy customers experiencing a natural gas outage or service interruption should contact the company’s customer service number at 888.286.6700. Service will be restored as quickly as possible once the area is deemed safe.
- Property Demolition – If your property is scheduled to be demolished, please contact Atmos Energy’s customer service number at 888.286.6700 before demolition activities begin to protect your property and to make the area safe.
For natural gas safety tips during severe weather, please visit https://www.atmosenergy.com/tornado.